Analysis of the prognosis and the recovery process of profound facial nerve paralysis secondary to acoustic neuroma resection

Takanobu Kunihiro, Jin Kanzaki, Shigemitsu Yoshihara, Yasuo Satoh

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

17 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The prognosis and the recovery process of facial nerve paralysis were reviewed in 74 patients who, despite preservation of nerve continuity, showed no facial movement after acoustic neuroma resection. In 50 or 67.6% of patients, facial movement recovered sufficiently so as not to require any reanimation procedures. However, no apparent sign of remission was observed for 7–49 months in the other 24 patients (32.4%), and hypoglossal-facial nerve anastomosis was performed in 20 of these patients. When remission was seen, the first sign of muscle movement appeared most frequently after 3–4 months but, in a small number of patients, it was also seen within 1.5 months or after 5–10 months. Based upon these results, the timing of reanimation procedures for facial nerve paralysis following acoustic neuroma resection is discussed.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)331-333
Number of pages3
JournalORL
Volume56
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1994 Jan 1

    Fingerprint

Keywords

  • Acoustic neuroma
  • Facial movement
  • Facial nerve paralysis
  • Recovery process
  • Timing of anastomosis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Otorhinolaryngology

Cite this