Basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component exhibiting a pedunculated polypoid mass.

Tokuhiro Kimura, Makio Mukai, Akihiro Shiotani, Kazuhisa Moro, Asako Ikeda, Yasunori Okada

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

6 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

We report a case of basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component in an 82-year-old man. The tumor (4.0 x 2.5 x 2.2 cm) was a pedunculated polypoid mass that was attached to the left pyriform sinus. Histologically, most (70%) of the tumor was composed of malignant spindle cell proliferation, and the rest (30%) was basaloid squamous carcinoma. Some of the spindle cells were positive for cytokeratins. The preoperative histologic diagnosis was difficult because the endoscopic biopsy specimens showed only spindle cell proliferation. This is an unusual presentation of basaloid squamous carcinoma of the head and neck.

Original languageEnglish
JournalArchives of pathology & laboratory medicine
Volume129
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - 2005

Fingerprint

Hypopharynx
Cellular Structures
Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Cell Proliferation
Pyriform Sinus
Keratins
Neoplasms
Neck
Head
Biopsy

Cite this

Basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component exhibiting a pedunculated polypoid mass. / Kimura, Tokuhiro; Mukai, Makio; Shiotani, Akihiro; Moro, Kazuhisa; Ikeda, Asako; Okada, Yasunori.

In: Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine, Vol. 129, No. 4, 2005.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Kimura, Tokuhiro ; Mukai, Makio ; Shiotani, Akihiro ; Moro, Kazuhisa ; Ikeda, Asako ; Okada, Yasunori. / Basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component exhibiting a pedunculated polypoid mass. In: Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine. 2005 ; Vol. 129, No. 4.
@article{c75470ba19f54ebf80df6ba8b18038b1,
title = "Basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component exhibiting a pedunculated polypoid mass.",
abstract = "We report a case of basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component in an 82-year-old man. The tumor (4.0 x 2.5 x 2.2 cm) was a pedunculated polypoid mass that was attached to the left pyriform sinus. Histologically, most (70{\%}) of the tumor was composed of malignant spindle cell proliferation, and the rest (30{\%}) was basaloid squamous carcinoma. Some of the spindle cells were positive for cytokeratins. The preoperative histologic diagnosis was difficult because the endoscopic biopsy specimens showed only spindle cell proliferation. This is an unusual presentation of basaloid squamous carcinoma of the head and neck.",
author = "Tokuhiro Kimura and Makio Mukai and Akihiro Shiotani and Kazuhisa Moro and Asako Ikeda and Yasunori Okada",
year = "2005",
language = "English",
volume = "129",
journal = "Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine",
issn = "0003-9985",
publisher = "College of American Pathologists",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component exhibiting a pedunculated polypoid mass.

AU - Kimura, Tokuhiro

AU - Mukai, Makio

AU - Shiotani, Akihiro

AU - Moro, Kazuhisa

AU - Ikeda, Asako

AU - Okada, Yasunori

PY - 2005

Y1 - 2005

N2 - We report a case of basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component in an 82-year-old man. The tumor (4.0 x 2.5 x 2.2 cm) was a pedunculated polypoid mass that was attached to the left pyriform sinus. Histologically, most (70%) of the tumor was composed of malignant spindle cell proliferation, and the rest (30%) was basaloid squamous carcinoma. Some of the spindle cells were positive for cytokeratins. The preoperative histologic diagnosis was difficult because the endoscopic biopsy specimens showed only spindle cell proliferation. This is an unusual presentation of basaloid squamous carcinoma of the head and neck.

AB - We report a case of basaloid squamous carcinoma of the hypopharynx with an extensive spindle cell component in an 82-year-old man. The tumor (4.0 x 2.5 x 2.2 cm) was a pedunculated polypoid mass that was attached to the left pyriform sinus. Histologically, most (70%) of the tumor was composed of malignant spindle cell proliferation, and the rest (30%) was basaloid squamous carcinoma. Some of the spindle cells were positive for cytokeratins. The preoperative histologic diagnosis was difficult because the endoscopic biopsy specimens showed only spindle cell proliferation. This is an unusual presentation of basaloid squamous carcinoma of the head and neck.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=27144558683&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=27144558683&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 129

JO - Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine

JF - Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine

SN - 0003-9985

IS - 4

ER -