Subtotal Gastrectomy with Limited Lymph Node Dissection is a Feasible Treatment Option for Patients with Early Gastric Stump Cancer

Tomoyuki Irino, Naoki Hiki, Souya Nunobe, Manabu Ohashi, Shinya Tanimura, Takeshi Sano, Toshiharu Yamaguchi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

7 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The de facto standard treatment for early gastric stump cancer (GSC) has been total gastrectomy combined with radical lymph node dissection. However, some patients could benefit if partial resection of the gastric stump is feasible. We investigated the feasibility of subtotal gastrectomy for early GSC as less invasive surgery. Subtotal gastrectomy was defined as a segmental resection of the gastric remnant including the anastomosis with limited lymph node dissection. A total of 66 patients with early GSC were enrolled and 24 patients (36.4 %) underwent subtotal gastrectomy (SG group). Clinicopathological characteristics were analyzed along with those of the other 42 patients (63.6 %) who underwent total gastrectomy (TG group). There were no significant differences between the two groups in the number of lymph nodes harvested (p = 0.880). Lymph node involvement was detected in 2 patients (8.3 %) in SG group and 5 patients (11.9 %) in TG group (p = 1.000). The previous disease (benign or malignant) and surgery (Billroth I or II) did not affect the rate of nodal involvement. The 5-year overall survival rate of SG group (94.7 %) was acceptable. Subtotal gastrectomy of the gastric remnant could be a feasible treatment option for patients with early gastric stump cancer when indicated.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1429-1433
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume18
Issue number8
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2014 Jan 1
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Gastric Stump
Gastrectomy
Lymph Node Excision
Stomach Neoplasms
Gastroenterostomy
Therapeutics
Lymph Nodes
Survival Rate

Keywords

  • Early gastric cancer
  • Gastric stump cancer
  • Subtotal gastrectomy
  • Total gastrectomy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Gastroenterology

Cite this

Subtotal Gastrectomy with Limited Lymph Node Dissection is a Feasible Treatment Option for Patients with Early Gastric Stump Cancer. / Irino, Tomoyuki; Hiki, Naoki; Nunobe, Souya; Ohashi, Manabu; Tanimura, Shinya; Sano, Takeshi; Yamaguchi, Toshiharu.

In: Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Vol. 18, No. 8, 01.01.2014, p. 1429-1433.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Irino, Tomoyuki ; Hiki, Naoki ; Nunobe, Souya ; Ohashi, Manabu ; Tanimura, Shinya ; Sano, Takeshi ; Yamaguchi, Toshiharu. / Subtotal Gastrectomy with Limited Lymph Node Dissection is a Feasible Treatment Option for Patients with Early Gastric Stump Cancer. In: Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2014 ; Vol. 18, No. 8. pp. 1429-1433.
@article{4e529a0f4c384fe58c59e02a5b506e3f,
title = "Subtotal Gastrectomy with Limited Lymph Node Dissection is a Feasible Treatment Option for Patients with Early Gastric Stump Cancer",
abstract = "The de facto standard treatment for early gastric stump cancer (GSC) has been total gastrectomy combined with radical lymph node dissection. However, some patients could benefit if partial resection of the gastric stump is feasible. We investigated the feasibility of subtotal gastrectomy for early GSC as less invasive surgery. Subtotal gastrectomy was defined as a segmental resection of the gastric remnant including the anastomosis with limited lymph node dissection. A total of 66 patients with early GSC were enrolled and 24 patients (36.4 {\%}) underwent subtotal gastrectomy (SG group). Clinicopathological characteristics were analyzed along with those of the other 42 patients (63.6 {\%}) who underwent total gastrectomy (TG group). There were no significant differences between the two groups in the number of lymph nodes harvested (p = 0.880). Lymph node involvement was detected in 2 patients (8.3 {\%}) in SG group and 5 patients (11.9 {\%}) in TG group (p = 1.000). The previous disease (benign or malignant) and surgery (Billroth I or II) did not affect the rate of nodal involvement. The 5-year overall survival rate of SG group (94.7 {\%}) was acceptable. Subtotal gastrectomy of the gastric remnant could be a feasible treatment option for patients with early gastric stump cancer when indicated.",
keywords = "Early gastric cancer, Gastric stump cancer, Subtotal gastrectomy, Total gastrectomy",
author = "Tomoyuki Irino and Naoki Hiki and Souya Nunobe and Manabu Ohashi and Shinya Tanimura and Takeshi Sano and Toshiharu Yamaguchi",
year = "2014",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1007/s11605-014-2576-3",
language = "English",
volume = "18",
pages = "1429--1433",
journal = "Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery",
issn = "1091-255X",
publisher = "Springer New York",
number = "8",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Subtotal Gastrectomy with Limited Lymph Node Dissection is a Feasible Treatment Option for Patients with Early Gastric Stump Cancer

AU - Irino, Tomoyuki

AU - Hiki, Naoki

AU - Nunobe, Souya

AU - Ohashi, Manabu

AU - Tanimura, Shinya

AU - Sano, Takeshi

AU - Yamaguchi, Toshiharu

PY - 2014/1/1

Y1 - 2014/1/1

N2 - The de facto standard treatment for early gastric stump cancer (GSC) has been total gastrectomy combined with radical lymph node dissection. However, some patients could benefit if partial resection of the gastric stump is feasible. We investigated the feasibility of subtotal gastrectomy for early GSC as less invasive surgery. Subtotal gastrectomy was defined as a segmental resection of the gastric remnant including the anastomosis with limited lymph node dissection. A total of 66 patients with early GSC were enrolled and 24 patients (36.4 %) underwent subtotal gastrectomy (SG group). Clinicopathological characteristics were analyzed along with those of the other 42 patients (63.6 %) who underwent total gastrectomy (TG group). There were no significant differences between the two groups in the number of lymph nodes harvested (p = 0.880). Lymph node involvement was detected in 2 patients (8.3 %) in SG group and 5 patients (11.9 %) in TG group (p = 1.000). The previous disease (benign or malignant) and surgery (Billroth I or II) did not affect the rate of nodal involvement. The 5-year overall survival rate of SG group (94.7 %) was acceptable. Subtotal gastrectomy of the gastric remnant could be a feasible treatment option for patients with early gastric stump cancer when indicated.

AB - The de facto standard treatment for early gastric stump cancer (GSC) has been total gastrectomy combined with radical lymph node dissection. However, some patients could benefit if partial resection of the gastric stump is feasible. We investigated the feasibility of subtotal gastrectomy for early GSC as less invasive surgery. Subtotal gastrectomy was defined as a segmental resection of the gastric remnant including the anastomosis with limited lymph node dissection. A total of 66 patients with early GSC were enrolled and 24 patients (36.4 %) underwent subtotal gastrectomy (SG group). Clinicopathological characteristics were analyzed along with those of the other 42 patients (63.6 %) who underwent total gastrectomy (TG group). There were no significant differences between the two groups in the number of lymph nodes harvested (p = 0.880). Lymph node involvement was detected in 2 patients (8.3 %) in SG group and 5 patients (11.9 %) in TG group (p = 1.000). The previous disease (benign or malignant) and surgery (Billroth I or II) did not affect the rate of nodal involvement. The 5-year overall survival rate of SG group (94.7 %) was acceptable. Subtotal gastrectomy of the gastric remnant could be a feasible treatment option for patients with early gastric stump cancer when indicated.

KW - Early gastric cancer

KW - Gastric stump cancer

KW - Subtotal gastrectomy

KW - Total gastrectomy

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84904245297&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84904245297&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s11605-014-2576-3

DO - 10.1007/s11605-014-2576-3

M3 - Article

C2 - 24944156

AN - SCOPUS:84904245297

VL - 18

SP - 1429

EP - 1433

JO - Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery

JF - Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery

SN - 1091-255X

IS - 8

ER -