Mercury is known to be associated with both acute and chronic poisoning. A 36-year-old man intentionally ingested mercuric chloride (HgCl2) and died within 24 h. Post-mortem CT images showed oral, esophageal and gastric wall hyperdense "staining". On toxicological analysis, the blood concentration of mercury was measured at 25.5 mg/L; a figure far higher than reported lethal levels. Autopsy was not performed in order to prevent potential inhalation of mercury vapor by pathology staff.
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Pathology and Forensic Medicine
- Issues, ethics and legal aspects